The Wizard of I

Image result for the wizard of "I" by gerald callahan

The reading, “ The Wizard of I”  by Gerald N. Callahan spoke about the Americans and Russians competing to send satellites into space and an accident him and his wife were involved in. The author used a lot of figurative languages like personification and metaphors. His choice of words makes me believe that his story is more directed to an older audience. Also the author’s tone is of sadness and frustration. While narrating the space competition story of Americans and Soviets, he uses words like “darkness, abandoned, frightened” to describe how the dog was feeling when she was sent to space. For the story of the accident he was involved in with his wife, he explains that his wife had to get her shoulder removed and she struggled to find a doctor that would help her gain strength in her shoulder, showing that she was frustrated .

The details the author used in the book where very vivid and specific. The diction used in the book can cause readers to imagine as if the events are happening right in front of their eyes. The reading was very interesting and kept me hooked, but I don’t understand what the car accident him and his wife was involved in has to do with a dog being sent to outer space. I wasn’t able to connect the two stories.